Thursday, March 31, 2011

MaxScript Fun

Oooo. I don't know what it is but I like it.

I am finally combining my programming knowledge and the stuff I actually want to do. I just started a class using MaxScript and I'm already having a blast. To the unknowing, MaxScript is coding for 3DS Max which can be used to do a wide array of things.

For example:
Want your lanterns to be a different color depending on the distance from your camera? Write a script.
Want to not have to hand animate your character every time they have to walk? Write a script.
Want to create mathamatical pieces of art? Write a script.

In fact, for this first homework assignment I did the third one. Although I may have went a little overboard. The code I made takes a number and creates that number of boxes around a sphere. Sure there is a light, camera and a background box but that isn't the meat of this script. I ended up having to relearn how to find a point on any sphere and translating it in code. If anyone is interested in the .ms file, just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment